We will be exploring a number of controversies in this course. For this paper, select one of these topics/ issues and create a 3-4-page research argumentative paper. This assignment is more than agreeing or disagreeing with the topic. There must be evidence of thorough research. Possible topics are given below, however, if there is something else that pertains to travel or tourism that peeks your interest, let me know about it. In your paper, provide examples of places, programs and policies where possible. You must include at least three citations from any of the following: a) books b) journals, and c) Government Docs are also possible sources and, of course newspapers and other non-scholarly journals.
1. Tourism is an appropriate route to economic growth in most developing countries.
2. Yellowstone National Park should ban all snowmobiles.
3. Disney theme parks promote global cultural homogeneity.
4. Enclave resorts in the Caribbean are preferable from both residents’ and tourists’ viewpoints.
5. Leisure travel by jet plane should be very heavily taxed to reduce carbon emissions.
6. New Jersey should protect its beaches from erosion at all cost because they are the staple tourist attraction.
7. Declining industrial cities should invest in art galleries to attract visitors.
8. Prostitution should be legalized in sex tourist destinations so it can be regulated.
9. The U.S. should remove its travel ban on Americans to Cuba and other countries.
10. New Orleans should be rebuilt primarily for tourists.
Staycations became popular since the end of the last decade. Explore the attractions in your area and write a list of at least (5) places you would visit and the things you would do if you had a 1-week staycation. Reflect on your motivations for choosing the items on your list – would they differ for your parents or grandparents?